Sunday, October 2, 2011

Vegan MoFo

October 1, 2011 marked the first day of Vegan MoFo 2011. This is an annual event in its fifth year that is a month long celebration of vegan food. Bloggers can sign up to be a part of it and then post regularly throughout the month about vegan food (you do not have to be vegan to participate).

So this year I have decided to participate. I have heard about it in the past but never tried it. Here is to an interesting month.

Rewind to yesterday:
Yesterday was quite frankly a perfect day according to my standards. Here is what was included:
I slept in til 11:00 (12 hours total, it was quite a busy week at work)
washed, waxed, and vacuumed my car (thanks for the help mom and dad)
went to Target to pick up necessities
went to a coffeehouse to do some work ( I have a new favorite)
then went to Whole Foods and Rainbow Blossom for grocery shopping and stocking up on goodies for the week.

I have also discovered my new favorite coffeeshop in Louisville. In the past I was a Starbucks fan but when I moved back to Louisville I became a Heine Brothers fan because it was local and I enjoyed the vibe (and beverages). Well one day my dad and I stopped in a place called Sunergos because we had a coupon for a 16 oz. bag of coffee. As soon as I walked in I new it was my new favorite. Besides the consistently great music selection, Sunergos has the best coffee beverages I have ever had. It has literally blown every latte, coffee, cafe au lait I have ever had a way. Plus, they do latte art. My soy latte had a flower shape on top. They also have a viewing area in the store where you can watch them roast their coffee.

Anyway, my day ended last night by having cake for dinner. Vegan cake that is from Sweet Surrender, which is a local dessert house on Frankfort Avenue. Again this is a new favorite place ( I plan on doing a post in the future of all my new favorite places). Lately, I have been stopping here every Friday night on my way home from work to pick up a piece of cake for the weekend.
This week's selection was entirely vegan and contained: chocolate cake, chocolate ganache and green tea icing.



So day 1 was a success. I discovered new favorite places and ate delicious cake. I also stocked up on vegan food for the week. Yesterday marked the first time I bought groceries at Whole Foods and when the cashier told me my total I said wow that is cheap. I did not realize how much of a difference there would be when I did not have organic yogurt, cheese, and meat in my cart.

No comments:

Post a Comment