Saturday, August 14, 2010

Using What You've Got

On Thursday I went to the grocery with a few of what I like to call "the essentials" on my list. These included basic things like eggs, plain yogurt, milk, butter (hey this girl likes to bake), and bananas. However in true Sarah fashion I ended up with more in my cart then I had originally planned. When I was passing the avocado and corn I grabbed a few of each and told myself I would concoct an idea on what to use them for later.

Well today's lunch was the product of my brain trying to plan a cohesive meal using corn, avocado, and anything else I already had on hand. What did I come up with...

Wheat berries with Avocado, Corn, and Grape Tomatoes
Serves 1
Ingredients
1/3 c. dried wheat berries
1/2 avocado, skin removed and diced
1/2 lime
1 ear of corn, kernels removed
5 grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 green onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
Kosher Salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Hot Sauce (I used a habanero hot sauce that my sister and brother-in-law brought back from Belize)
Optional: Sour Cream

The line up:



1) Boil water in a medium size saucepan and add 1 t. kosher salt when water has started to boil. Then add wheat berries. Cook for ~20 minutes over medium heat. When these have finished cooking, drain.

2) In a skillet heat 2 t. extra virgin olive oil. Add the garlic and onion and cook for about 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Then add the corn kernels, 1/4 t. salt, and 1/8 t. black pepper. Cook for 3 more minutes and then add the wheat berries back in.

3) After another two minutes add the tomatoes, stir, and remove from heat. Pour in a bowl, add juice from 1/2 a fresh lime, the diced avocado, and as much hot sauce as you desire. Then if your feeling really adventurous add some sour cream for good measure.



It was delicious and just reinforces the notion that on a whim food purchases are not always a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment